The recent change in the weather can cause your scalp to become dry, itchy, red and full of dandruff. Dandruff is dead skin cells that have the appearance of white flakes in the scalp and hair. It has even been found in the ears, eyebrows and men’s mustaches.
What Causes Dandruff?
- Dry skin – One of the leading causes of dandruff. The cold weather and dry heat can cause your skin and scalp to become excessively dry. The dry skin becomes flaky, and build-up occurs on your skin and in your hair and scalp.
- Skin conditions – Skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis can trigger dandruff.
- Shampooing too much or not enough – Shampooing too often can cause the scalp to become irritated and produce more oil in the scalp causing it to feel overly greasy. Not shampooing enough can cause oil buildup of oil and dead skin cells which causes dandruff.
- Dermatitis – People who have dermatitis get dandruff in the scalp, eyebrows, side of the nose and back of the ears. The skin will appear red, greasy and flaky.
- Weather – Dandruff worsens during the dry, cold weather months. The humidity in the air during the winter months contributes to the buildup of skin that turns into dandruff.
- Medical conditions – Individuals who suffer from medical conditions such as weak immune systems, diabetes or who have neurological illnesses like Parkinson’s disease are more prone to having issues with dandruff.
- Diet – Your body requires a certain amount of nutrients to function and survive. Foods that contain zinc, vitamins B and D and some types of fats are a few of the nutrients that help the body to thrive. Having a vitamin deficiency can cause skin conditions that may lead to dandruff.
Effects of Dandruff
Dandruff can stop the scalp from breathing properly, and it weakens the roots. In addition, it can cause hair falling and breakage, graying, acne, pimples, headaches, weakness of eyesight and hair loss. It’s also embarrassing to have people notice the flakes in your hair and on your clothes.
Consult with one of Ruby Salon‘s experienced hair care professions. We can help you find a solution and provide you with the right products to get rid of your dandruff and increase the health of your hair and scalp.